The world economy will not make a full recovery until the vaccine gap between rich and poor nations is reduced, IMF says; a senior scientist calls for more Covid booster shots in a bid to prevent a virus surge over winter; the UK reports 33,869 new cases
- England urged to step up vaccinations to avoid winter Covid surge
- Americans will need to provide a negative Covid test if travelling to Hawaii
- New Zealand ends Covid elimination strategy in favour of suppression
- The UK reports 33,869 new coronavirus cases and 166 deaths
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Australians with compromised immune systems could start receiving Covid-19 booster shots this year before third jabs are rolled out more widely in 2022, AAP reports.
Health authorities are closely monitoring overseas programs with the United States, United Kingdom, Israel and France among countries offering boosters.